Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Do Your Mouth a Favor

“I haven’t been this hooked on something since Dunkin Donuts had their chocolate chip croissant.”

Jessica bent over her cream-filled, coffee cake muffin from Wawa. “It’s crispy where it’s supposed to be, mushy where it’s supposed to be, springy where it’s supposed to be,” she said as she assembled the perfect bite on her plastic fork. It appealed to her in the sparkling pastry case at the convenience store. “I’m Servsafe certified so I look at how it’s presented,” she said. She dug her fork into the center to show me the cream. “It’s really delicious,” she said, lifting her shoulders towards her ears. “I can’t help myself.”

It was an early lunch for Jessica, perched on the edge of a stone flower planter near the corner of Broad and Sansom. She usually eats in Dilworth park, but was just too hungry to make it there today. She had her strawberry probiotic yogurt, baby carrots, a diet lemon iced tea, and, of course, the muffin amidst the traffic on one of the busiest sidewalks in the city.

Lunch is a light meal for Jessica, typically fresh fruits, vegetables and yogurt. Soup and tea would be her perfect lunchtime meal. “I’m on this weight kick; I was heavy before and I don’t want to gain it back,” she said. “I’m totally cheating on this muffin.” She insisted I try one. “Oh you oughta girl,” she said.  “You’d be doing your mouth a favor.”

Jessica, wiry with a thin silver nose ring and sharp eyes, has worked in the food service industry for years. She rattles off a list of restaurants and catering companies near Harrisburg where she lived before she moved to Philadelphia three years ago. “I liked McDonalds, actually,” she said. She worked as a manager for five years and appreciated the customer service aspect of the job. Her favorite menu item was the fruit and yogurt parfait. “I’m really into yogurt,” she said, looking over her narrow nose earnestly. She wrapped up half of her muffin and tucked it next to her baby carrots in a plastic bag. “No throwing away muffin,” she said. “No throwing away any food.”

If Jessica could eat out in Philly, she’d cheat with a really greasy cheesesteak. For now, she eats packed lunch in the park, or occasionally at Broad Street Ministry church during their ‘Breaking Bread’ meals.

Three years ago, Jessica left her abusive husband of thirteen years. She lived with her daughter until her daughter’s boyfriend kicked her out. “I stayed homeless until, oooooh, six weeks ago,” she said.

As of last week, Jessica has a bed at a shelter in West Philly. For the six weeks prior, she went to the shelter every night and slept in a chair.

With the aid of intensive outpatient therapy, Jessica will be starting classes next semester at the Community College of Philadelphia and plans to get her masters in psychology. She’d like to work in behavioral health.

“I wanted to start a new life.”


Jessica turns 43 next month. I’m planning to obtain a birthday cake made out of Wawa muffins by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment