Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Scorpio and His Seafood

Tony’s meal was vibrant against the gray table shoved in the way back of Reading Terminal’s Rick Nichols Room. Bright steamed broccoli complemented the fleshy salmon and butterflied shrimp. White rice swirled in sweet and sour sauce at the bottom of the bowl. He took a bite of the salmon, the chief reason he orders the dish. “It’s flavorful through the whole piece,” he said, “I would say it’s a day or two marinated.”

Little Thai Kitchen is Tony’s regular spot at Reading Terminal. “It’s a really long line but it’s worth it,” he said. When I walked by the neon sign, a string of people wound around the counter, stretching back to the neighboring Salumeria. It was by far the longest line in the Market, though I couldn’t see what was coming out of the kitchen. “Their giveaway’s these little white containers,” Tony said, tapping the side of his dish.

Tony’s been coming to Reading Terminal regularly for ten or twelve years. “It’s a get-away,” he said, “A quick ride, hop on the sub.” The Market is a place to enjoy time away from work, to have social time. “My homie and I normally come, but he had work.”
 
Tony had the day off from his job at a lighting warehouse in Northeast Philadelphia. They supply lamps, bulbs, and fixtures for big companies. “I’m a picker; I get different orders and send them to shipping,” he said. He likes it because it’s a “tell-yourself job.” He knows what he’s responsible for and he gets it done. “Routine. That’s all it is; routine everyday,” he said, shaking his head, “I like to work so it goes fast.”

Before working in the warehouse, Tony was a casual (a seasonal worker that might be put on full-time if needed) for the Postal Service. “That job,” he shook his head, letting out a high-pitched ‘Ooooo!’ “If you ain’t in shape you get torn.” He’d throw 70-80lb sacks around the sorting warehouse all night. Hard work, but he’s practiced at keeping his mind occupied. “I’m always thinking,” he said, pulling the tail off a piece of shrimp squeezed between his lips. “Seriously – I’m a Scorpio.”

“Straight Tony, no Anthony, no Antonio,” is confident and warm with a relaxed smile. He has the tendency to ask “Me?” pointing his middle finger toward his chest before answering a question. He wore a black Navy coat over a Nike sweatshirt, black watch cap pulled to his ears. I asked how long he’s lived in Philly. “Me? Born and raised.”

He lives on Erie Avenue where he’s spoiled; “You really don’t have to go anywhere for nothing.” He’ll go to Pete and Kim’s - right across from his barbershop - for Korean.  He likes Clock Bar and Black Pearl (on Erie near Broad) for seafood. “Me? I go in there and get three crab cakes, four crab sticks, six butterfly shrimp,” he said. In judging a crab cake, the breading is everything; it’s gotta be thick. And he likes tartar sauce.

At work, he avoids the vending machine and eats a packed lunch - usually soup, a chicken sandwich, or a salad with turkey bacon. The 45 minutes he’s allotted is more than enough. “I go light,” he said, “When I eat heavy and it’s time to go back to work I don’t feel like working!”


He packs his four-year-old’s lunch as well, sending her with veggie packs and apple juice in her Princess Anna lunchbox. “I try to make it my business to get her to eat healthy,” he said. He eats more veggies in hopes that she’ll learn to like them. Like father like daughter, she’s Toni. “Named after me,” he said, smiling, “Or mom… ‘cause, me? I’m named after mom.”

1 comment: